Prison Arts :  CEA Forums The fastest message board... ever.
This SIG provides a forum for educators teaching various arts programs in correctional facilities discussing ways that the arts enhance educational achievement. 
Artist Reflects on Creativity Contest Participation
Date: January 20, 2016 12:16PM

Artist Reflects on Creativity Contest Participation

Each year, CEA-Wisconsin invites writers and artists incarcerated in Wisconsin’s jail, prison, and juvenile facility populations to submit their works for the annual edition of the CEA-Wisconsin Creativity Contest. Right now, members of the Creativity Contest Committee are busy reviewing the original prose, poetry, and ink drawings and selecting those to be published in the CEA-Wisconsin Creativity Contest booklet.

Once the entries are selected, the booklets will be typeset and printed for distribution. The target date for distribution of the booklets to CEA-W members and correctional facility libraries is the CEA-Wisconsin Training Day on May 2-3, 2016. Authors and artists whose works are selected will also receive two free copies of the booklet when it is published in May.

The Creativity Contest goes beyond reflecting the professional commitment of CEA-Wisconsin members to promote literacy and encouraging the creative efforts of their students at various education levels. It also has a personal impact on the writers and artists who participate in the project.

The following is a letter received by a Creativity Contest Committee member from a contest participant at the Green Lake County Jail:

Shortly after writing you I received two copies of the new Creativity Contest book. I was surprised to see that what I heard about was there, that my sketch had made the front cover.

Jail time gave me the time to renew interest in things I hadn’t done for years, reading, writing and drawing several sketches, including the one that was entered. It was actually sketched with a black felt pen and done on the 8 ½ x 11 sheet the long way. It was reduced, and shrank which lost a lot of detail, but they really did a nice job with the border. This is a real positive program and they do an excellent job of editing and printing. I’m impressed.

I would like six more copies of the book but don’t know how to pay, credit card, check? I’ll send you a copy of the original full size sketch. You could bill me too, I’m good for the money, trust me.

Thanks again, God bless.

Bob Wessels

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.