Special Education :  CEA Forums The fastest message board... ever.
This SIG is devoted to the discussion of special education needs of offenders in correctional education settings. They monitor current legislative issues impacting funding and staff requirements, new techniques for assessing the learning needs of students, and training for educators working with this population. 
Important Resource for Teachers and Students
Date: November 08, 2011 08:32PM

There is an excellent resource available to correctional teachers when working with visually-impaired students, which I uncovered recently. A new student was assigned to my classroom, which happens all the time. This time, however, there was a little note attached to my assignment sheet with two words, “He’s blind.”

I asked myself, “Okay, now what?” My first step was a trip to the American Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator. From my visit with our Racine Correctional Institution ADA coordinator, a lead emerged. I discovered an excellent resource available to the correctional teacher of a visually-impaired student, the Hadley School for the Blind. Hadley offers Braille (and other) classes at no cost to students who are visually impaired and is very helpful in the enrollment process. Class materials are shipped free of charge, and assignments that the students complete can either be emailed or sent to the school — free of charge. Materials for the blind are postage-free. The Hadley School for the Blind even offers classes to professionals who work with the blind, some of which are also free of charge.

Contact information for Hadley is:
The Hadley School for the Blind
700 Elm Street
Winnetka, IL 60093-2554
800-323-4238 (for receptionist or instructors)
800-526-9909 (for Student Services representative)
Email: info@hadley.edu

As a footnote, my student just completed his first course. His Hadley instructor provided excellent feedback on his work, and my student even received a very nice certificate!

by: Barb Rasmussen, Racine Correctional Institution (Wisconsin)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Important Resource for Teachers and Students
Posted by: seanx ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:55AM

I have just joined and I hope I will learn a lot of new information here.
I admire the valuable information you offered in your article. Excellent submission very good post.Keep posting thumbs up.

High School Diploma

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.