English Language Learners :  CEA Forums The fastest message board... ever.
This SIG serves educators working with populations for whom English is not their primary language. 
I read (with interest) the "Libraries" forum post: Something to Read in County Jails
Posted by: Elise Leonard ()
Date: July 25, 2008 10:56AM

The “Libraries” forum post from Feb. 2008 brought up something very near and dear to me--the fact that our literacy rate in this country is plummeting. This is not just a concern for those in the correctional education field, but should be a concern for all educators and, actually, all citizens.

There are very few books out there—cool, interesting fiction books—for this target readership. Readers reading far below grade (or age) level have little or nothing available to them to read to help build their reading skills! There’s a little non-fiction, lots of expensive programs to attempt to teach reading, but until recently, there was nothing out there for cool, fun reading that was within reach of our emergent, struggling and ESL older adolescent and adult readers.

But now, there is!

If you’d like to explore books written for adults, about adults with adult characters that are not babyish, boring or condescending, but are written on a Flesch-Kincaid reading level of 0.9 to 1.4 (below a Lexile 200) for ease of use and to help build self-confidence and fluency, please visit my Website at www.eliseleonard.com.

I write for Simon & Schuster, Harlequin, Nox Press, as well as other publishing houses, and am now focused primarily on fiction for struggling, emergent and ESL readers. [Some of my books have been chosen as American Library Association (ALA) Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers.]

If you want to get your emergent and struggling readers interested in reading, please consider offering them the Junkyard Dan series, which was designed specifically for adult readers and is based on the requests and approval and responses of this target population.

Let’s get our nation reading! Let’s give ALL people a better life through literacy.

~Elise Leonard (your new ELL SIG chair)
www.eliseleonard.com
elise.leonard@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I read (with interest) the "Libraries" forum post: Something to Read in County Jails
Posted by: get2mikehudson ()
Date: December 16, 2015 12:49PM

The “Libraries” forum post from Feb. 2008 brought up something very near and dear to me--the fact that our literacy rate in this country. your article is really inspiring.
Mike from Distance education
[bit.ly] [bit.ly]
[goo.gl] [alturl.com]
[bit.ly]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.