Jails :  CEA Forums The fastest message board... ever.
This SIG discusses the issues and concerns of correctional educators working in short-term detention facilities. 
Louisiana Teacher in need of Help!
Posted by: murrayellison ()
Date: March 17, 2009 11:58AM

am in Louisiana teaching in a short term detention center for BOYS and it houses long term and short term GIRLS. We are a small faculty - (6 teachers & 2 paras) and are contracted through the local school system. So, issue one--the detention center operates separately from the school system. However, the teachers are to comply with the center rules but function like we are a regular school in the eyes of the Parish. (I hope this makes sense.)
Right now, there are about 100 youth- 80 boys, 20 girls. They range from 10-19yrs. They are housed in "mods" and this is how they attend class as well. We have SPED, regular, 10-19 yrs. all in the same class. They are not using any computer programs for instruction.
I have no idea where to start--I just know that anyone can see that this is a ridiculous teaching set up and the kids are not getting what they truly need. I guess I need to start with - how do they and what do they get @#$%& with upon entry for an educational level. Next, how and what do you teach in this type of setting or tell me the ideal educational set up for a detention center.
Thanks

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Janet M. Bankston, M. Ed.~Plus 30
FPJDC - Special Education Teacher

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Louisiana Teacher in need of Help!
Posted by: tlisant ()
Date: May 01, 2009 08:05PM

Janet:
We have experience in setting up programs like yours.
In my Netowrk in NYC we have five 100-student sites within different detention facilities.
It may be easiest to set up a time to chat.
Feel free to call or email me.
Tim Lisante
tlisant@schools.nyc.gov
917 863 3896

TIMOHY F. LISANTE
JAILS SIG CHAIRPERSON/
SUPERINTENDENT
NYC DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.